Saturday, July 23, 2011

Homemade Pizza

Making your own pizza is cheaper than takeout, better than frozen pizza, and customizable.  


Apron Story:

My husband and I have enjoyed the tradition of making homemade pizza on Sunday evenings for about two years and have tried several different pizza crusts and combos.  Since my husband is an extreme meat fanatic who lives by the montra "the more animals, the better" and I am a vegetable junkie, it reduces the conflict.

Recipe:


Fleischmann's Pizza Yeast works great and includes a recipe for the crust.  I make a few small changes to the recipe.

Ingredients:

2-3 cups of flour, divided 1 cup water (120-130 degrees)
1 envelope Fleischmann's Pizza Yeast or Regular Yeast 3 tablespoons oil
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar Pizza sauce, cheese, toppings
3/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Combine one cup flour, one packet of yeast, salt, and sugar.  Heat the water in a pan on the stove.  Use a thermometer to ensure that the water is between 120-130 degrees fahrenheit.  When the water has reached a temperature in that range, add water with vegetable oil to the mixture and mix for about a minute.  Gradually add one to two cups of flour to the mixture.  Continue to add flour until the dough reaches a soft, kneadable consistency.  Knead the dough for four minutes on a lightly floured surface.  Use a rolling pin to roll out dough on a pizza pan (preferrably a pizza stone).  Add sauce and toppings.  Bake in the oven at 425 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until browned. 

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, I went to college with Joe. I was on the KIKS team with him. One of my passions is gourmet cooking. I am looking forward to reading this blog! I see you use allrecipes.com. That is a good site, one I would recommend is epicurious.com. That has tons of awesome recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bread is on my list! That looks awesome. Bananas and blueberries are an excellent combo. I'll bet the mixture of oats adds to that crunchy texture.

    ReplyDelete